Thanks so much for the tag Chloe! (QuirkyVictorian) 🙂 So I gather this is another way of connecting with other bloggers and learning a bit more about each other. Sounds good to me!
Four names people call me other than my real name:
- Fran: This is reallllly not my favourite name, but it’s the go-to abbreviation for people who don’t know that.
- Frankenstein: My charming brother.
- Frannigans (and her shenanigans): You have to say the whole thing apparently, just the name won’t do. Bestowed upon me by my barista buddies at an old café job.
- Friend-Jessica: A valiant and adorable attempt to pronounce “Francesca”, made by most of the children I have babysat/worked with. Close enough right!
Four jobs I’ve had:
- Nanny to two adorable munchkins. However the 6am starts really cemented the fact that I will NEVER be a morning person.
- Barista: Interestingly, the more coffee I made, the less I wanted to drink it, and I almost never drink it now.
- Costume Hire Assistant. I once dressed a famous NZ rugby player in a Mrs. Claus outfit – red velvet mini-skirt and all.
- Childcare Worker. The best job I’ve ever had. Working with children brings me more joy than anything else in this world.
Four movies I’ve watched more than once:
- The Sound of Music: this is my go-to “sick movie”. When I’m unwell and feeling sorry for myself, Salt & Vinegar Pringles + Julie Andrews frolicking in the mountains = best medicine.
- Juno: lovely-jubbly.
- Sense and Sensibility: the film that made me fall in love with Alan Rickman. My trusty old laptop, Colonel Brandon, has seen me through five years of keyboard-bashing, and I’m convinced this is purely because I named him after such a wonderful character. Plus Emma Thompson is amazing as usual, what’s not to love!
- Room: I first watched this on a tiny screen on my flight home from London, and was so impressed I immediately dragged my mum to the cinema to see it again. Having studied the book at university I had my mega-critical pants on while watching this film, but I had nothing to say other than it was the most beautiful screen adaptation I could imagine. If you haven’t seen it, do it!
Four books or authors I recommend:
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is my favourite book of all time. It’s a book for children but the wordplay is fan-bloody-tastic and the themes are universal. I buy it every time I see it in the second-hand stores.
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Sad but beautiful.
- F .Scott Fitzgerald. Let’s be honest, I’m putting him in here partly because I feel like I need to mention someone a bit classic! But the reason I love him is for his short story “The Diamond as Big as the Ritz”, not Gatsby. Gatsby is great, I just liked the short story even more
- Anything by Caitlin Moran. I mentioned her in my Sunshine Blogger post as well, because she is SO DAMN GOOD you guys. I’m not entirely convinced my cat agrees, but don’t let her put you off.
Four places I’ve lived:
- New Zealand
- British Columbia, Canada
- Iqaluit, Canada
- London, U.K.
Four places I’ve visited:
Four things I’d rather be doing right now:
- Spending time with my sister – she lives 11,500 miles away in Edinburgh so that’s probably not going to happen this evening.
- Going to the cinema. I LIVE for going to the movies. I am probably the most easy-to-please moviegoer in the world. I don’t care at all what I’m seeing, as long as I have popcorn and a comfy seat, I’m good.
- Ice skating. The only sport I have ever managed to partake in without embarrassing myself.
- Nothing at all – I am content to be sitting here connecting with other bloggers!
Four foods I prefer not to eat:
- Meat – I’ve been vegetarian the last two years. My reasons aren’t very compelling, I just love animals and feel bad for eating them!
- Mushrooms. Blegh. I’ve tried to move past my hatred of them but they’re flippin’ SLIMY.
- Uhhh…. Running out of ideas here…. I guess I’m not a huge fan of cabbage?
Four of my favorite foods:
- Tom Yum. I mean, it has the word “yum” in its name. I think that’s good enough supporting evidence, don’t you?
- Feijoas. It is one of life’s greatest injustices that feijoa season is so tragically short.
- This is boring, but there’s a lot to be said for the humble toast! My favourite comfort food would have to be cheese and Marmite on toast.
- Salt and Vinegar crisps. My poor sister and room-mate were subjected to many a tantrum when I discovered that this flavour apparently does not exist in continental Europe. Sorry guys.
Four television shows I watch:
- Sherlock. I’ve lost count of how many times I have seen each episode.
- New Girl. For when I need extra sunshine in my day.
- Pretty Little Liars. I hate that I love it, but I love it.
- How I met Your Mother. Sometimes you just need some dependable HIMYM to get through the day!
Four things I’m looking forward to this year:
- Learning and mastering strategies to help with my mental health, which leads to
- Getting to a place mentally where I feel I can travel again, which leads to
- Returning to Europe and beyond to see the things I want to see through new, refreshed eyes, which leads to
- Finishing up the year with a sense of accomplishment rather than discontent. Wish me luck!
Four things I’m always saying:
- “I’m hungry”
- “What’s for lunch?”
- “What’s for dinner?”
- “What’s for dessert?”
Inventive, I know.
So that’s me! I only get to tag 4 people, but anyone else who wants to, feel free to answer 🙂
Four people to tag:
Please answer anyway if you’re not tagged! And comment below if you do because I want to see everyone’s answers.
Hope you all have a marvelous day!